Tuesday 15 January 2013

What do you do with your stuff?


So now that we are stash busting we have to think about where our lovely makes are going to end up.  It's all well and good if you have a small family to knit and crochet for but what do you do if your family have all grown up and flown the nest.  
Of course you can make things and give them as gifts,  make things for yourself or for your home but there comes a time when our family and friends are over saturated with our beautiful creations and our homes won't hold another single thing and of course if you are like me you haven't become a granny yet :(                I live in hope.....

what then?
That's the situation I found myself in a just a few short years ago and so I began to think about charity knitting but hadn't a clue where to start.  That's where Loving Hands came in, I found this group while I was browsing on-line and have never looked back since.  Do check out this lovely group they knit/crochet/sew for all kinds of charities from blankets  for orphan elephants  to hen coats for battery hens. You may decide that you would like to join too, many good friendships have been formed on there and there is a lively forum where you can share your creative ups and downs and just about anything you want to really. You will also have access to free patterns and a list of charities to send your things to. 

I know many of you make things for charity  why don't you tell us about the charity you support and I will link it back to here, it may inspire someone else to support them too.  

Charities 

Greenfields Africa - Algerian Action - Operation Orphan  - Project Linus                       

Project Peru  - Heartease - Lily -(love in the language of yarn) -Cuddles

Siblings together - Sew Scrumptous  - Bridge and Beyond - 2 wish upon a star -  

Knit For Nowt - Needles & Hooks, Angels & Preemies - Muddy Footprint - Simba

8 comments:

  1. I'm not to that point yet but will only crochet things I can use like slippers and washclothes. I also have an extended family and co workers so I'm crocheting ahead of time gifts for when birthdays come along as well as mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of making baby hats and shoes for an orphanage. Maybe some cardigans too. Last year <I made some for a hospital, and I am thinking of contributing this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give away most of what I make. Once in awhile I keep something. I've made a few blankets for Project Linus, and I'd like to start making baby clothes this year to donate to the Cope center, a local pregnant girl's school, or one of the children's hospitals in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one of your fellow comrades on Loving Hands our knitting goes far and wide - I also only really knit for charity although have done a bag and scarves for christmas presents but have also donated to local homeless charity in the past and will be knitting hats for them again this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in the early stages of bombarding my friends and family with crochet creations...however I am thinking of hooking some scarves for a local charity as a background project whilst I plan the next gifts!
    Its good to know what is needed by charities - on LH there's such a range of ideas and something for every skill level!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I love your new snowy header photo. I wondered if you wanted to link to my new monthly party https://ginxcraft.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/happy-new-year-and-ginx-yarn-linx-party.html I used to link to your party. Post don't necessarily have to be current, but can be past project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I love your snowy picture.... I am newly moved to the north east - near Consett - and rather lonely. Would love to meet likeminded people who help needy causes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if you would like to get in touch, please send me an email with your email address and we can arrange something. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx