Tuesday 5 May 2015

Sweet Little Tops.

The cutest little preemie baby jacket




I love Facebook because there is so much inspiration and lots of beautiful free patterns to be found like this little baby cardi.


This pattern is so simple, it's knitted in one piece the only sewing being the shoulder and little sleeve seam. 

I took it along to show the ladies in the Day Unit where I work and they fell in love with it and wanted to  knit some too so between us this is what we have made so far.


I think there will be lots more before very long.


These are going into my Preemie box to be sent to a local preemie baby group who distribute preemie items to neonatal units throughout England.


A big thank you to Teresa Roberts for designing this pattern and sharing it with us, it comes in a newborn size too, because the link to the pattern doesn't work Teresa has given me permission to print it here on my blog.



Small Baby Cardi by Theresa Roberts.

Knitted in DK yarn on no.8 /4mm needles.Garter stitch(all rows knit).Takes approx 25 grams of yarn and about two hours to knit. Tension or finished measurements is not crucial.
Worked from the bottom up,in one piece up to arm holes.

Larger size in brackets..Measures 16/17ins chest..7ins back length..takes about 60 grams of yarn.

Cast on 40 sts (60 sts) Knit 2 rows.
Increase row.knit 2 sts.inc in next st. knit to last 3 sts,inc in next st. knit 2.
Repeat this row until you have 60 sts (90 sts).
knit straight until 26 rows (40 rows) have been knitted from the cast on.

Buttonhole row. knit 2 sts..yarn forward,knit 2tog..knit to end.
Divide for back and fronts...
knit to last 16 sts (23 sts ) put these sts onto a sts holder.
Cast on 5 sts (24 sts) at beg of next row,(for sleeve )knit these 5 sts (24 sts) and continue across row until last 16 sts (23 sts)
put these 16 sts (23 sts) onto a st holder.)cast on 5 sts (24 sts) at beg of next row,( for sleeve ) knit these 5 sts (24 sts ) and rest of row..This is the back.knit 20 rows (30 rows ) on these sts. Cast off loose....

Work fronts**Put 16 sts (23 sts ) back onto needles.Join yarn...cast on 5 sts (24 sts ) knit these sts and rest of row..

front edge decrease row...knit 2 sts.knit 2tog.. knit to end of row..
knit 1 row.
repeat these 2 rows,until 12 sts (38 sts ) left..knit straight until front measures same as back..cast off shoulder sts.**

repeat from** for the other front..
join shoulder and under arm seam..sew on button. you're done.

Note this pattern as written,gives the small size ,little cap sleeves,and the larger size long sleeves.

Hope this makes sense.
Please enjoy this pattern,you may gift or sell the cardies.Please DO NOT try to sell this pattern,or alter it to call it your own....many thanks.


Find a similar crochet version here.



Linking with






 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

52 comments:

  1. They are so lovely Linda. The end is in sight on Elmer!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly dinky Linda.....for little elves. I so love all those different colours. I can imagine your needles just can't stop knitting them :-)

    keep well

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! They looks like candies, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! I wish I could knit now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little sweaters are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tops. I'd love to make some but the Facebook link doesn't work...even when I log in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this. I will definitely make some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, so cute <3!
    Happy week.:*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Linda they really are so sweet! How lovely that you inspired the ladies at the Day Centre , they have made such a beautiful collection! Many years ago my younger daughter was a preemie and I had nothing small enough for her, would have loved these! I'm sure they will be very much appreciated xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project and so needed!
    Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are so simple yet so effective. Knitting was so important to my mum in her last years, it made her feel she could still help others, so I'm sure the ladies in the day unit will get a big boost from making these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're so sweet. I am sure they will be appreciated. I have crocheted some tiny things like this for charity in the past. I would like to make some when I eventually get better at knitting too, so thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look so sweet, Linda!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute, Linda! I already pinned them (@Pinterest) so that I try them later... Thank you and Theresa for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is a wonderful pattern and preemies need that extra warmth!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Linda, these little jackets are soo cute! Fantastic that they are so easy to make, I've printed the pattern and put it in my to-do pile :-). Thanks for sharing to you & Teresa! Sunny greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  17. so beautiful! love these little sweaters and will have to see if I can find a crochet pattern or learn to knit. We make blankets and sewn items for our local Newborns in Need chapter and I bet they would LOVE these at the local hospitals!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What cute little jackets, I think I will try and make some and see if there's a charity near to me that will take them (or the local hospital) a huge thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such adorable jackets and made with such love!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations, you are the winner from last weeks Link your stuff.
    You are welcom again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made the premmie size its really cute sob I decided to make the larger size and got to the point I'm the pattern where you decrease for the front. It says to decrease until you have 38 sts left and that is impossible so I. Will have to guess how many sts to decrease unless you have a correction for that number.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Cindy sorry I haven't tried the larger size, Teresa does say that the larger size has long sleeves I don't now if that makes a difference I will have to give it a try and see how it works out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my mistake I cast on for short sleeves so I ripped it out and now the pattern works! Thanks

      Delete
    2. I'm pleased you got it sorted. :)

      Delete
  23. I was trying to find something cute to knit for my friend's granddaughter who is due to arrive in August. Well, I found it: I'm going to knit this beautiful little cardi in pink ! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous little cardi and great easy to follow pattern thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am working on a small one. I did make longer sleeves on it so I was glad to see in the above comments that the bigger one has longer sleeves. I was wondering how it would turn out and now it seems I've got something to compare notes on. Thank you for this adorable pattern! Is it (are you) on Ravelry so I can link it three (and thus keep track of the pattern)?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Amy I am on Ravelry just click the R button at the top right side bar, however these little jackets are not my design so you won't find them there. The designer is Teresa Roberts and I don't think she's on Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Found them (and you)! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would like to make the larger size using Sports Weight instead of dk. Will that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love them so easy and quick

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry for being a pain ,wld like to print this pattern ,but can’t find how to do that? Could you help me please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you email me with your email address and I will explain how to in more detail than I can on here.

      Delete
  31. Hi. I have just knitted one of these and am on my second.
    They are lovely.
    I would appreciate it if you could let me have the address of where I can send them once I have done several as I don't know where to donate them.
    Thanks in advance.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, if you click on the charity tab at the top of my blog it will give you some ideas of where you can send them. Or join Loving hands link in my right side bar for even more inspiration.

      Delete
  32. Hello,
    I did the above small cardi twice and presented to my friend circle. they liked and said so cute..........Thank you for the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  33. Any idea how I can adapt this pattern to fit a little 7 year old girl? This is perfect except I am not good trying to figure out how to make it fit.
    Thanks so much,
    Have a great day and stay safe and healthy.
    Cindy B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, I'm sorry I can't help you as I'm not the designer as far as I'm aware Theresa only designs for baby's and preemies. Stay safe. x

      Delete
  34. I think im doing something wrong...please help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What seems to be the problem? I will help if I can, please send me an email outlining the problem with photos if possible.

      Delete
  35. Hi - do you have this pattern in bigger sizes? I would love to make it in size 2, 3 & 4.

    ReplyDelete
  36. No, Teresa has made this pattern specifically for preemie and newborn babies.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Linda, just getting ready to do another load of cardigans from this pattern, I made quite a few in the first lock down , they are so easy to make and they will be going to our local maternity units in NOTTINGHAM .

    ReplyDelete
  38. Some friends and I are knitting for premmy unit in Newcastle Australia. Thank you for such a cute and simple pattern

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Linda. I love this jacket..thank you! I’m new to following patterns, but I’m at the point where it sets to continue until front measures back (on the long sleeve now). Am I measuring the front of the sleeve to the back? Sorry..I’ve decreased to 38stitches but can’t quite work out ‘continue knitting till front measures back’. I’m assuming you mean the sleeve? Sorry again in advance…I’m useless at following patterns but I’ve gone ok it to this point. It’s me..not you 🤣🌻💝🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes, the whole piece that you are knitting which includes the front and the sleeve should measure the same as the back from top to bottom, hope that makes sense.

      Delete
  40. What stitch do you use to sew/bind off the shoulders... 3-needle bind off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use a two needle cast off but try the three needle bind off and see if it works.

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx