Friday 1 July 2016

A bit of A Cheat.

Ever since I decorated my lounge earlier this year I have needed  a doily for my coffee table the one that was there and I really loved just didn't match my colour scheme anymore.  I have been searching for the perfect pattern but have been unsuccessful so far.

I have been making do with this..


I made this doily 35 years ago and gifted it to my Mother, when she died ten years ago I found it in one of her drawers, I'm not sure if she ever used it I know I didn't until recently, I washed it and blocked it and it's been sitting on my coffee table.  Looking at the intricate detail in this doily I feel quite proud of the fact that I made this when I was quite young and relatively new to crochet I know that I wouldn't have the patience to make one like it now.

Anyways although I think it's lovely it just doesn't look right on my coffee table as the table is rectangular. I have been pondering for a while about this state of affairs and then while I was looking through my stash look what I found unexpectedly...


Squashed in a bag at the bottom of another bag these african flower motifs left over from the previous doily I had for my table but in more neutral shades.  So I dusted them off and weaved in all the loose ends sewed them together and came up with this...


So although one of the targets for last month 'a doily for my coffee table' has been met I have cheated a bit by using motifs I already had but it's always good to unearth a bit of treasure like this don't you think? 

Take heart all of you who, like me, have UFO's in all kinds of places you will find a use for them one day. :) 

I'm still not completely happy with it, it will do for now I suppose but the search for the perfect doily goes on.

The pattern and tutorial for the African Flower motif can be found here

Have a great weekend and I'll see you all for the new Stash-Link Party on Sunday.






 photo e69a549e-0e33-465a-b88b-a6ebe916eaaa_zps34480328.jpg

17 comments:

  1. Treasure indeed - looks fab Linda....but I also understand your quest for the perfect doily though!
    Amazing work in the one you have revived too!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doily at the top is amazingly beautiful :) I would love to make something similar one day. Although I honestly don't think I would have any patience making it. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doily is something to be proud of, even if it isn't quite right for your table. The african flower hexagons are so pretty and make a lovely shape. You've reminded me that I have a nearly finished blanket made with african flower hexagons - I just can't decide how to edge it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both doilies are gorgeous linda.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. You are so creative and inspirational. I don't usually comment but I wanted to let you know I really enjoy your words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I think both doilies are amazing. I had to laugh at you "making do" with that fantastic work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your first doily is amazing, I think your mother kept it like a treasure.
    Love the Afrikan flower, the colors are so delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect idea Linda! I love it and of course that beautiful doily you made years ago.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the first tablemat is gorgeous! How ever did you make it? Doilies to me are made out of paper !!! Love the ethnic one too. Very stylish indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely doilies, both of them. It's not cheating, it's still your work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The fine doily is a real treasure! I think the african flowers runner is a great idea, nice color combination and a pretty eyecatcher. Always fascinating what ufos we can find from time to time :o). Have a good week! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so pretty!! WOW!

    I'd love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

    Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a beautiful job with both doilies Linda!
    Thanks for sharing at Cooking & Crafting with J & J.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, beautiful! The African piece work I think u might like it better if it had a edging on it. Perhaps a row or three of single crochet then some chains and maybe three clusters chains a couple of dbl crochets chsin and clustrrs again repested.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both the doilies are beautiful, Linda!! :) It is good that you made use of already made motifs. This is not cheating rather keeping away beautiful motifs into boxes than making into finished piece is more a cheating:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Linda, are you still looking for a rectangular doily? I just came across this pattern and remembered your post:
    https://crochet101.blogspot.de/2016/07/fillet-crochet-table-runner.html
    Should be adjustable to the table size in question, I think. Maybe you like this? Happy weekend! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nata it is pretty I have put it onto my to do list. :) xx

      Delete

Thank you for your visit, I will always answer any questions but due to time constraints I'm not always able to reply to your comments, please keep them coming I read and appreciate each and every one. xx